Protecting and Conserving UK fresh waters
On 11th April, Carole Roberts, UCL NERC DTP PhD Research Student, gave an enlightening public speech in Leighton Buzzard on the importance of protecting and conserving UK fresh waters. A link to Carole’s presentation can be found HERE
South Beds Friends of the Earth and Low Carbon Leighton Linslade Talk by Paul Brown on Climate Change
On 10th January, Paul Brown, former Environmental Correspondent for The Guardian, lead a talk on Climate Change to a wide audience at Leighton Buzzard’s Friend’s Meeting House. A summary of this inspirational talk can be found HERE
Update on Plastic and Local Shopping
Click on the link below to see the latest news on how to save plastics through local shopping:
An Update on the LB Market Court Case.
How we can win a Plastic Pollution Action Plan
Cutting Emissions to help Leighton Buzzard
We are a friendly, relaxed and informal group. We are concerned about climate change and biodiversity, so locally, we have campaigned successfully for wind turbines supplying local energy, for a high-quality bus service from one of the new estates to the town centre and the station, and we have created and maintain 19 bee-friendly areas across the town. We are currently working to make Leighton Buzzard a low-carbon town.
We meet frequently to maintain and improve our bee-friendly sites – for the most up-to-date information on all our events, please check out our Facebook Events page.
Actions/activities you can do now:
ALL WELCOME TO ALL EVENTS!
- Thursday 10th January at 7.30pm Paul Brown is speaking on climate change at the Friend’s Meeting House on North street.
- Sunday 13th January Wassailing 2-4pm at Astral Park Community Orchard with live music.
- Tuesday 22nd of January 7.30pm Action focused planning meeting on way forward on the local plastics campaign. Friend’s Meeting House North Street.
Recent Past Events 2018
- Thursday 11th October 7.30pm – The Friends Meeting House, North Street, Leighton Buzzard, “Plastics” by Helen Tandy from Chester Friends of the Earth on their campaign to make Chester Plastic Free.
- Monday 22nd October 7.30pm 41 Corbet Ride Members Meeting on housing and the Oxford-Cambridge Expressway; all are welcome
- Thursday 15th November 7.30pm 41 Corbet Ride South beds Friends of the Earth meeting on Bees All are welcome.
Working parties for wildlife areas
10th October Wednesday Parsons Close 10-1pm – weeding – Done!
13th October Saturday 2-5 pm Astral Park hedge, clearing the weeds that are choking the young trees – Done!
14th October Sunday 2-5pm Soulbury Road scything grass and digging areas for more wildflowers – Done!
18th October Wednesday Parsons Close 10-1pm weeding – Done!
19th October Friday Orchard 10-1pm scything and digging some areas for bulbs and wildflowers – Done!
25 October Thursday Narrow Gauge Railway 10-1pm weeding out mugwort – Done!
4 November Sunday River Ouzel by Bridge Street 12-4pm – Done!
18 November Sunday Woodman’s Close 12-4pm – Done!
- Sunday April 29th 14:00 – 17:00 – Astral Park Community Orchard, scything and planting, Astral Park Sports and Community Centre, Johnson Drive, LU7 4AY – Done!
- Friday May 4th, 10:00-13:00- Leighton Buzzard station, platform 1, weeding and planting – Done!
- Saturday May 5th, 14:00 – 17:00 – Astral Park hedge weeding, Astral Park Sports and Community Centre, Johnson Drive, LU7 4AY – Done!
- 12 May Saturday 2-5pm Astral Park Community Orchard; learn how to scythe , look after the apple trees and identify different wildflowers, butterflies and bees. – Done!
- 15th May Tuesday 7.30pm talk from Paul De Zylva of National Friends of the Earth on the Government’s 25 year environmental plan. 41 Corbet Ride, Linslade – Done!
- 18th May Friday 7pm River Ouzel by Monarch Way. Pulling Out Himalayan Balsam with the Young Explorers – Done!
- 19th May Saturday 3.30 pm- 6pm River Ouzel opposite Leighton Middle School – Digging up nettles and planting wildflowers – Done!
- 1st-3rd June National Friends of the Earth Conference/ Festival in Castleton Derbyshire
- June 10th Sunday 2-5pm Astral park Hedge; weeding so that the shrubs don’t get swamped.
- 2nd July Monday 7.30pm meeting 41 Corbet Ride to discuss plans for the Low Carbon Town initiative and campaigning on climate change.
- July 10th stall in market low carbon tow
- August 8th 10am-1pm Scything and Digging at Carina Drive wildlife area
- Sunday 2nd September 10.30AM – 2PM – Astral Park Community Orchard, scything and digging, park at Astral Park Sports and Community Centre, Johnson Drive, LU7 4AY – The Orchard is adjacent to the south-east end of Middleton Way, across the field from the Sports Centre. Due to our scything and digging maintenance programme, the orchard is now a County Wildlife Site.
- Thursday 13th September 7.30pm – The Friends Meeting House, North Street Leighton Buzzard, Climate Change and Air Pollution by Damian Oyarzun and Sustainable Urban Transport by Dr Beatrice Mella. Both are from University College, London.
For working parties, do feel free to turn up for just part of the time. An hour of your time would make all the difference. If you plan to help out, please contact Victoria Harvey (mobile: 07815 817108 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org) on the day, or close to the day, to check if there are any changes to the schedule due to weather or other circumstances beyond our control.