We are a friendly, relaxed and informal group. We are concerned about climate change and biodiversity, so locally, we have campaigned successfully for wind turbines supplying local energy, for a high-quality bus service from one of the new estates to the town centre and the station, and we have created and maintain 19 bee-friendly areas across the town. We are currently working to make Leighton Buzzard a low-carbon town.
We meet frequently to maintain and improve our bee-friendly sites – for the most up-to-date information on all our events, please check out our Facebook Events page.
Actions/activities you can do now:
ALL WELCOME TO ALL EVENTS!
- Thursday 11th October 7.30pm – The Friends Meeting House, North Street, Leighton Buzzard, “Plastics” by Helen Tandy from Chester Friends of the Earth on their campaign to make Chester Plastic Free.
- Monday 22nd October 7.30pm 41 Corbet Ride Members Meeting on housing and the Oxford-Cambridge Expressway; all are welcome
- Thursday 15th November 7.30pm 41 Corbet Ride South beds Friends of the Earth meeting on Bees All are welcome.
Working parties for wildlife areas
10th October Wednesday Parsons Close 10-1pm – weeding
13th October Saturday 2-5 pm Astral Park hedge, clearing the weeds that are choking the young trees
14th October Sunday 2-5pm Soulbury Road scything grass and digging areas for more wildlflowers
18th October Wednesday Parsons Close 10-1pm weeding
19th October Friday Orchard 10-1pm scything and digging some areas for bulbs and wildfowers
25 October Thursday Narrow Gauge Railway 10-1pm weeding out mugwort
4 November Sunday River Ouzel by Bridge Street 12-4pm
18 November Sunday Woodman’s Close 12-4pm
Recent Past Events:
- Sunday April 29th 14:00 – 17:00 – Astral Park Community Orchard, scything and planting, Astral Park Sports and Community Centre, Johnson Drive, LU7 4AY – Done!
- Friday May 4th, 10:00-13:00- Leighton Buzzard station, platform 1, weeding and planting – Done!
- Saturday May 5th, 14:00 – 17:00 – Astral Park hedge weeding, Astral Park Sports and Community Centre, Johnson Drive, LU7 4AY – Done!
- 12 May Saturday 2-5pm Astral Park Community Orchard; learn how to scythe , look after the apple trees and identify different wildflowers, butterflies and bees. – Done!
- 15th May Tuesday 7.30pm talk from Paul De Zylva of National Friends of the Earth on the Government’s 25 year environmental plan. 41 Corbet Ride, Linslade – Done!
- 18th May Friday 7pm River Ouzel by Monarch Way. Pulling Out Himalayan Balsam with the Young Explorers – Done!
- 19th May Saturday 3.30 pm- 6pm River Ouzel opposite Leighton Middle School – Digging up nettles and planting wildflowers – Done!
- 1st-3rd June National Friends of the Earth Conference/ Festival in Castleton Derbyshire
- June 10th Sunday 2-5pm Astral park Hedge; weeding so that the shrubs don’t get swamped.
- 2nd July Monday 7.30pm meeting 41 Corbet Ride to discuss plans for the Low Carbon Town initiative and campaigning on climate change.
- July 10th stall in market low carbon tow
- August 8th 10am-1pm Scything and Digging at Carina Drive wildlife area
- Sunday 2nd September 10.30AM – 2PM – Astral Park Community Orchard, scything and digging, park at Astral Park Sports and Community Centre, Johnson Drive, LU7 4AY – The Orchard is adjacent to the south-east end of Middleton Way, across the field from the Sports Centre. Due to our scything and digging maintenance programme, the orchard is now a County Wildlife Site.
- Thursday 13th September 7.30pm – The Friends Meeting House, North Street Leighton Buzzard, Climate Change and Air Pollution by Damian Oyarzun and Sustainable Urban Transport by Dr Beatrice Mella. Both are from University College, London.
For working parties, do feel free to turn up for just part of the time. An hour of your time would make all the difference. If you plan to help out, please contact Victoria Harvey (mobile: 07815 817108 or email: email@example.com) on the day, or close to the day, to check if there are any changes to the schedule due to weather or other circumstances beyond our control.